HOW WE ARE EDUCATING THE COMMUNITY:
- Mountain Express: https://mountainx.com/blogwire/making-a-difference-initiative-to-help-increase-independence-for-people-with-disabilities/ (it was posted on February 23, 2017 by Dan Hesse)
- Staff presented to Vaya’s Provider Advisory Council IDD Subcommittee on May 17. This presentation helped launch our Supported Living Initiative and promoted our goal of educating as many community members and providers as possible.
CONFERENCES & SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTS
- Hosted kick-off conference, “Supported Living: A Shared Vision,” in Greensboro on March 28 & 29. Two hundred and eighty-two people attended this event.
- Keynote presentation and breakout sessions reinforced the importance of this initiative at NC Training, Instruction, Development, and Education (TIDE) conference in Wilmington on April 24.
- Presentation at J. Iverson Riddle Developmental Center on May 19 promoted the initiative.
- Presentation to guardianship agency on June 13.
- Linda Kendall Fields, aging and disability consultant at DHHS presented to Vaya’s Provider Advisory Council I/DD Subcommittee on June 21. She discussed “Rethinking Guardianship: Building a Case for Less Restrictive Alternatives.”
- Presentation “Supported Living: Make a Difference Initiative” was delivered to Vaya staff on July 13.
- Presentation regarding Initiative progress to the North Carolina Council on Developmental Disabilities (NCCDD) on August 10.
- Presentation regarding Initiative progress to the NC Money Follows the Person quarterly meeting on August 11.
- Presented breakout sessions reinforcing the importance and progress of this initiative at NC TIDE conference in Asheville, NC on October 24 & 25.
- Presentation at Vaya’s Annual Provider Summit reinforcing the importance and progress of this initiative on December 13.
- Scheduled six Learning Community webinars in 2018: one facilitated by each of the four providers and two that will focus on specific topics that impact transitions to supported living: the coordination of healthcare and the role of the direct support professional.
- February Webinar: February 26, 2018: Personal Experiences with Supported Living (FIRST)
- April Webinar: April 30, 2018: Provider Experiences with Supported Living (Liberty Corner Enterprises)
- September Webinar: September 18, 2018: Virtual Stakeholders Meeting – Supported Living
- September Webinar: September 21, 2018: Supporting People with Informed Decision Making
- October Webinar: October 15, 2018: Provider Experiences with Supported Living (The Arc of NC)
- November Webinar: November 5, 2018: The Health, Person-Centered Living and Individualized Supports: What’s the Connection? (Karen Luken)
- December Webinar: December 3, 2018: Provider Experiences with Supported Living (Turning Point Services)
- With Community Bridges Consulting Group, launched the on-line Learning Community with the “Supported Living 101” webinar on September 25, 2017 and the “Health vs. Safety and Risk vs. Liability” webinar on December 11, 2017.
- Presentation to Vaya Provider Advisory Council I/DD Subcommittee on May 17, 2017 to advance initiative.
- Conducted Supported Living Level 3 Stakeholder’s Meeting Raleigh on April 7, 2018 and April 11, 2018.
- Presented at the 2018 NC Tide Conference in Wilmington on April 24, 2018.
- Presentation with Derrick Dufresne at Broughton Hospital on May 16, 2018.
- Presentation by Derrick Dufresne at Transforming Care Conference on May 17, 2018: Developing and Implementing an Integrated System of Community Supports: Focusing on Quality Not Compliance
- Presentation by Lynne Seagle on May 17, 2018 at Transforming Care Conference: The Leadership of You
- Presented at the 2018 National Association of Councils on Developmental Disabilities (NACDD) Annual Conference in Maryland on July 11, 2018.
- Conducted a “Beyond Behaviors”: Supporting Confidence, Competence, and Well-Being Workshop led by national expert David Pitonyak on July 31, 2018. 199 individuals participated. click here
- Presented at An Evening with NCDD on regarding the Supported Living Initiative on August 08, 2018
DEVELOPING THE LEARNING COMMUNITY
- Email communications to our developing Learning Community began on March 31 and June 30.
- Presented webinar, “Supported Living 101,” on September 25 for the Learning Community.
- Coordinated stakeholders meeting in Cary, NC on November 30 to refine goals.
- Presented webinar, “Health vs. Safety, Risk vs. Liability” on December 11
PROGRESS MOVING PEOPLE INTO THEIR OWN HOMES
- Fifteen people have moved into their own homes, nine of whom were previously living in group homes or adult care facilities. Twelve people are currently in the planning phase as they prepare to move into their own homes.