REMOTE 40-hour NC Peer Support Specialist Training
February 14 @ 9:00 am – 3:00 pm
REMOTE 40-hour Peer Support Specialist Training | Vaya Health
Following are answers to some frequently asked questions about this training:
- * There is a waiting list for this class, so you cannot just register for it.
- * Only people who have completed the application process and are approved can be added to the waiting list to be contacted when there is a seat available.
- * If you have not applied, please complete and submit the application and references as described on our Peer Support webpage.
- * If you have applied and been approved to join the waiting list, you will receive an email invitation when a seat is available to you.
PLEASE READ ALL INFORMATION BELOW BEFORE PROCEEDING.
The 8-day remote/virtual “classroom” schedule for this course is 9-11 a.m. and 1-3 p.m. daily:
- Tuesday, February 8 through Friday, February 11
AND Monday, February 14 through Thursday, February 17
Special note: Due to concerns and official guidelines related to the COVID-19 pandemic, North Carolina’s Peer Support Specialist Program (“Program”) has granted permission for Vaya Health to offer our 40-hour Peer Support Specialist training in a remote/virtual format.
We acknowledge that online learning is not for everyone. If you prefer to complete your training in-person, you will be added to our waiting list upon approval of your application; when it is safe and we are authorized to resume in-person training, we will work through our waiting list.
The remote/virtual training format must follow protocols outlined by the Program. This includes, but is not limited to, allowing only four “classroom” hours per day over an eight-day schedule, along with independent homework assignments. In addition, remote/virtual training requires participants to:
- * Have access to a working computer that is connected to reliable internet service AND has functional webcam, microphone and speakers (built-in or connected)
- * Remain online with webcam turned on for all class time
- * Login to the training at least five minutes ahead of the designated class start time
- * Select a private location to participate so that people outside the class cannot hear the discussions
- * Understand that supervisory staff from Vaya Health, and staff from the North Carolina Division of Mental Health, Developmental Disabilities and Substance Abuse Services, University of North Carolina – Chapel Hill Behavioral Health Springboard and/or contractors of those entities may join to monitor a portion of the remote training
About Vaya Health’s 40-hour PSS Training
Peer Support Specialists are messengers of hope who are essential in increasing positive outcomes for individuals on their recovery paths. Specialists share their own experiences to help others, and the training offered by Vaya Health meets the guidelines of North Carolina’s Certified Peer Support Specialist Program.
Vaya Health’s trainers have firsthand experience working as Peer Support Specialists, giving them the unique perspective to guide individuals through the course. Activities and discussions provide insight into what it is like to work with peers in recovery. Participants will also learn ways to monitor their own wellness to sustain their recovery and support others on their recovery journeys. The class is interactive, and participants are encouraged to share their perspective throughout the training.
PLEASE NOTE: There is a high demand for our PSS training, and class size is limited by state guidelines. Submitting your application does not guarantee a spot in the next class. If a class is full upon application approval, you will be added to the waiting list and contacted when there is an available seat in an upcoming session.
Ready to get started? Please submit a complete application packet, which includes the training application and two written references. Instructions for each are printed on the forms linked below. Connection details will be shared with individuals who are approved to attend, and the $30 registration fee will be collected after acceptance to the course. Please submit requests for ADA accommodations upon registration or at least 48 hours before the class begins. If you have additional questions, please send email to PSStraining@vayahealth.com. Thank you!
1-800-893-6246, ext. 3357