Transitions to Community Living
The Transitions to Community Living (TCL) program gives eligible adults living with serious mental illness the opportunity to choose where they live and work.
TCL connects people to mental and physical healthcare services and supports that help them maintain a home in their own name, instead of living in a facility. Participants are linked to local behavioral healthcare providers in their community to support whole-person care. The program assists participants in learning everyday skills, taking part in community activities and sharing their lives with family, friends and neighbors. TCL also helps people identify their interests and connects them to supported employment services.
Vaya Health manages the TCL program in our region. Anyone can refer an individual to the program using the process described below.
Who is eligible for TCL?
Individuals must meet all of the following criteria to be eligible for TCL. Participants must be:
1. Diagnosed with a serious and persistent mental illness (SPMI) or a serious mental illness (SMI) 2. Being considered for admission to an adult care home (ACH) or family care home (FCH) OR being discharged from a state psychiatric facility into homelessness or unstable housing 3. An NC Medicaid beneficiary, eligible for Medicaid OR earning a monthly income of $2,000 or less 4. At least age 18 AND willing to accept a minimum of one tenancy support service per month
How can I make a referral?
Referrals can be made through the Referral Screening Verification Process (RSVP) in three ways:
- Start the Referral Screening Verification Process (RSVP) online.
- Call Vaya’s Member & Recipient Services Line at 1-800-962-9003 to make an RSVP referral.
- Request a paper referral form by calling our Member & Recipient Services Line at 1-800-962-9003.
Additional TCL Information and Resources
- Learn more about Transitions to Community Living | NCDHHS
- Learn more about the TCL Settlement Agreement with Department of Justice | NCDHHS
- Referral Screening Verification Process – Frequently Asked Questions
Peer Extender Program
Watch the video below to learn more about Vaya Health’s Peer Extender Program and how it benefits participants.
The impact of TCL
“TCL has given me a lot more freedom and independence. I never knew how institutionalized I was.”
“TCL is awesome in helping those in need. We also enjoy helping people. TCL makes doing so a lot more pleasant and convenient.”
TCL landlord partner
“I love my apartment. Thank you guys so much. I am so happy.”
Male TCL participant
Contact Vaya Health to learn more about TCL in our region.