Becoming a Peer Support Specialist
Vaya Health is one of only two public managed care organizations in the state authorized to offer peer support specialist training. This training allows Vaya Health’s peer support specialists to use their own experiences to share messages of hope to other individuals in recovery. Vaya Health uses a specially developed curriculum under the guidelines of North Carolina’s Certified Peer Support Specialist Program.
Vaya offers a 40-hour course at various locations in western North Carolina to prepare participants to achieve state certification. Activities and discussions provide insight into working with peers in recovery. Participants learn to monitor their own wellness to sustain their recovery, support others and share their own perspectives throughout the highly interactive training.
PLEASE NOTE: There is a high demand for our Peer Support Specialist training, and class size is limited by state guidelines. Submitting your application does not guarantee a seat in the next class. If a class is full upon application approval, you will be added to the waiting list and contacted when there is an available seat in an upcoming session. Our training dates and locations are updated quarterly.
Peer Support Specialist Reference Form (Two required)
2. Instructions are printed on the both forms. One application and two references must be completed.
3. Submit all forms to Vaya Health, Attention: Peer Support Training, 825 Wilkesboro Blvd. SE, Lenoir, NC 28645 or by email to PSStraining@vayahealth.com.
4. Individuals who are approved to attend will receive course location details.
5. A $30 registration fee will be collected after acceptance to the course.
6. If classes are full, you may still apply. Approved applicants will be placed on our waiting list for a future session.